Monday, January 14, 2013

Goals for 2013

Things I want to work on in 2013:

Healthier Lifestyle

I say this all the time, but I really want to start eating better and exercising.  Now that I am home full-time, I really have no excuse.  I plan to start slowly with the workout stuff, maybe 2x a week.  Then I can increase it if I can manage that.  I'd like to do some cardio and weight training at home while the kids are sleeping, and them go to gym at least 1x/week (I hate that I have a gym membership that I never use).  I am making a weekly schedule to try and help me organize my day, and I am hoping if it is on the schedule, I'll actually do it :)

I also want to plan healthier meals for my family.  We are in such a rut right now, having the same stuff all the time.  I'd like to try and plan out meals for 2 weeks at a time or maybe a month.  And I have got to get the kiddos to eat more than chicken nuggets, corn dogs, mac and cheese and peanut butter sandwiches.  At the very least, I need to make more smoothies for them so I can hide some veggies in there :)  At least they will happily munch on carrots!

Discipline

One area I lack big time is discipline.  I think the kids get away with too much because I am not consistent.   I make threats I don't follow through on, so they don't believe anything I say.  It's harder now with a baby because I can't get up as readily to go check on them when I am nursing Lucy.  I feel like I have to lock us all in a room when I am feeding her so that I don't find items in the toilet or a container of breadcrumbs spilled everywhere (my find this morning).  I saw a title of a book recently called "I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids" and that is kind of how I feel.  I had all these ideals before having kids-- no bribing, no eating on the furniture etc, and I feel like I do the opposite a lot of the time.  There are plenty of day when I am less than pleased with myself, and I immediately regret it when I notice myself yelling at my sweet children.  Right now I am reading "Parenting With Grace: The Catholic Parents Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids".  I just started, but am really enjoying it so far.  I am hoping it will give me the motivation and guidance I need to be more consistent, patient and loving. 

Celebrating Feast Days

I think I'm a pretty on-the-ball mom most of the time when it comes to organization and efficiency, but I have a hard time remembering feast days and celebrating them.  My plan is to look at the Church calendar a month in advance and plan out some things we can do as a family--a craft, a recipe, or even simply reading a story about the saint after dinner.

And also more picture and video taking, more blogging, and really being present (cutting down on phone and computer time) and enjoying my family!

Happy New Year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment