Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent 2012

My Valentines post and Mary’s 1st birthday post will be coming, but I wanted to get my Lenten commitments written out in time for Ash Wednesday tomorrow.  Last year, I felt like I was not able to participate fully in the Lenten season because I was busy carrying for a newborn.  This year we are preparing for a big move, but I am determined to make the most of this time to deepen my spiritual life and grow closer to God.  I have seen several good ideas on the blogs I follow, and hopefully we can do some in the future.  I know if I try and do too much, I will more than likely end up failing at all of them.  To increase the chance of success, I think it is best to focus on a couple simple practices.  Here are my goals for Lent 2012:

1)      Discipline- I am not going to have any sweets for the duration of Lent.  Usually this includes soda, but I am making an exception for that because we will probably  need the caffeine to keep us awake on our road trip in a few weeks!  I have a huge sweet tooth, so this is always hard for me, but I am hoping to discipline myself enough that I can continue after Lent.  I want this to be the 1st step of my plan to start eating healthier and exercising more. 

2)      Prayer- In the past Alex and I have prayed the rosary every day. I’d like to do this again, along with some other forms of prayer. It might be a good idea to become great friends with St. Cajetan, St. Joseph and St. Jude as we pray for a job opportunity in Denver.  These powerful intercessors will bring great peace during this stressful time. 

3)      Scripture-Not sure how I want to go about this yet.  I’d love to say I will read for 30 min. every day, but that is unlikely to happen, so maybe 30 min. on Sunday, plus the Mass readings every day?  That seems more doable. 

Hope it’s a fruitful Lent!  Prayers to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment